CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Eat it up...

Between starting new jobs and traveling back and forth to DFW for graduation/wedding events, Grant and I have managed to get in a little "scouting out Austin" time. So far I will say that I'm pretty darn happy with the food and if you know me at all, you know that food is a BIG factor for me. I figured I'd make myself an honorary food critic as I continue to search high and low for Austin's best cuisine.



Our first visit in Austin: Guero's Taco Bar on South Congress. I REALLY loved this place. There is seating outside on a covered patio, seating near an indoor fish pond, and seating near the counter where you can watch a woman make tortillas from scratch. Even before the food gets to your table, the surroundings are sure to impress. (Even the slightly bitchy she-male bartender adds flare to this place.) I was a big fan of the "get-it-yourself" salsa and pico counter. And wow is that pico amazing! For my lunch, I had spiniach and mushroom enchiladas with a sour cream sauce. I was not dissapointed! For my first taste of authentic Austin food, I was a very happy customer.



Stop #2: Chuy's off of 183. I'd been given specific instructions to head straight to Chuy's after our arrival in Austin. Another Mexican hot-spot! Grant and I first tried to get in on a weekday around 7pm. Big mistake, the place was PACKED. And after our second attempt on a Saturday afternoon, I can see why. Chuy's does it right! We sat out on a huge patio covered by trees. It was hot outside but the trees and umbrellas made it feel so cool and comfortable that we were beyond content. Grant was a big fan of their creamy jalapeno dressing, which they actually serve with chips. SO good! I, myself, was again impressed by the pico. We shared a platter that had a little of everything-tacos, enchiladas, taquito, nachos...all great! Grant especially liked the shirts that Chuy's sells. He plans on buying the one that says, "Taco...Spanish for taco".


Stop #3: Hut's Hamburgers on Sixth Street. Grant and I decided it might be best for us to branch out and try something that did not involve tortillas or cheese. Ok so we got away from the tortillas, at least. My cheeseburger at Hut's was SO good. Just greasy enough to remind you to go for a run later. I was most impressed by the onion rings. I have NEVER seen an onion ring so big in my life. I also liked the atmosphere. It was a very small restaurant with a diner feel to it, checker-tiled floors and all. Modest atmosphere, killer burgers. The way to this girl's heart.


So it looks like maybe next time Grant and I should go for something a little more foreign to us. Greek? Indian? We'll see and I'll be sure to write about it. Think of me as your personal Zagat.

2 comments:

Emily

Isn't Rudy's BBQ an Austin staple? They just opened one here and it is DELICIOUS. I of course think you should try out Indian. Do you even like Indian food? I could recommend some never-fail dishes.

Mama Q

Yeah, Rudy's is here but we also have it in Norman. It is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

I've had Indian before and I liked it...it's just been like years.

Post a Comment