CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 13, 2009

August-Houston Trip

A couple of weeks ago, I packed up my red truck and headed on down the road to Houston to see some of my very favorite girls. Unfortunately, not all of our "pack" was available to meet up in Houston, but I definitely got my much-needed "Fam fix" with Emily, Sarah, and Lindsey who all live there.



First, though, I had to battle possibly the WORST storm I've ever come across while driving. I'm not the smartest of drivers as it is. But you add buckets of rain, lightning, booming thunder, and winds trying their darndest to push my car off the road and you've got one big problem. I tried to power through the storm and keep driving when it all began. But as the rain got so hard that I was unable to see the car in front of me...or the road for that matter, I pulled off slowly and was able to take shelter at a gas station. I called my own personal weatherman, Grant, who looked at the trusty radar and said that the storm should pass but that I should actually go INTO the gas station where it was safer. I jumped ship and ran into the store. In the short run I was completely soaked and obviously stressing out from the unforseen blip in my travels. Thankfully I was able to console myself with a Moonpie (for those of you who have never had a Moonpie, it's best if you stay ignorant). I waited until the storm calmed down (thankfully Texas storms are known from leaving as quickly as they appear) and then headed back out onto the highway where I cruised at the break-neck speed of 40 miles per hour.



The rest of my Friday was MUCH better, once I arrived in Houston. The girls & I went to an Italian restaurant where we all ate our weight in pasta and dessert. (Our waiter after I ordered a tiramisu: "Would you like four spoons for that?", all four of us: "NO, we'll each be having our own dessert, thank you".) After dinner, we spent some time dancing to a band out in the courtyard. And when I say dancing, I mean less dancing and more hops, goofy moves, and rockstar kicks. A true best friend is one who not only laughs at you while you look like an idiot, but joins in the fun. :)
On Saturday, we took the "big kids", Micah & Hazel, and one sleeping Caleb to the pool. We always talk about how Aunt Ashley needs to swim with them and turn them into little fish. I'd say there was less actual swimming and more running away from Ashley. Nonetheless, it was fun to watch my psudeo niece and nephew play and enjoy the water like I do. :)

On the way home from swimming, the big kids got icecream and I got one of the best pictures of Hazel ever. She would bite her icecream, make a hilarious face from the cold, and then ask for it back. Micah was a little more calm and collected with his Batman icecream. What is a superhero if not in control?

Later on Saturday, we went to paint pottery. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to make fun of me for this seemingly old-person hobby. But I assure you, it is relaxing, fun, and very satisfying. On the second thought, let the jokes fly. I definitely sound old.
My finished project. Grant claims once Lindsey brings it to me (it has to dry and needs to be glazed), it will be the perfect tray for serving nachos. Lovely.

The four of us with our finished products. We spent about three hours working and I hope it's not the last time we do this. I can imagine us as crotchety old ladies, having pretty much the same conversations and laughing our same loud, ridiculous laughs.

4 comments:

Emily

Can you just move to Houston?

cmf9ferrell

what a fun weekend! I didn't know you had to drive through a storm...I would have been scared too! Remember the time we drove to SFA in that horrible rain??

Sarah

Ok, since I didn't "join in" the fun dancing you guys did, does that mean I'm not a true friend??
P.S. Yor psuedo nephews LOVE you!

Kristin

wow! what a fun weekend! and i LOVE painting pottery.... so anytime you want to go, call me! ... and i also have a weakness for good tiramasu~

Post a Comment