CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Safety Fair Fiasco...

Tuesday night, our swim school joined several other organizations at Fern Bluff Elementary School for a Safety Fair. The entire night seemed a little nuts and I think my personal experiences more than proved it.

First off, I had to drive to the elementary school straight from work. I quickly printed up directions and crossed my fingers that I'd get to my destination without any "hitch". (Those of you who really know me know that my strengths do not lie in directions. In fact...I'm what you'd call directionally deficient.) Thankfully, the directions were great. The problem ended up being the toll-roads. As I saw the first signs that the toll was approaching, I began digging around in my purse for a few quarters. I couldn't get to them since they were at the bottom of my immensely giant purse. When I looked up, I realized that I'd passed the lane for cash only and was in the Toll Tag lane. I threw my purse back into the passenger seat, looked up at the camera on top of the Toll Tag sign, held up my hands, and made a face as if to say, "Does this look like a face who's trying to rip off the Texas State Government?" I've hoped upon hopes that I might get a bill for the $.75, as ridiculous as that sounds.

At the Safety Fair, there were around twenty booths set up for the students and families of that particular school. One booth, which I thought was odd, was serving smoothies. I couldn't figure out how tropical smoothies tied into safety for young children, but hey...free smoothies! I was eyeing the tasty treats all night as I worked at our own booth. At one point, a mom approached me and began asking questions about the swim school. She was juggling several pamphlets and other material from past booths when suddenly she dropped her smoothie cup. It fell to the ground and landed right-side up. The only catch is that the fall made the smoothie practically EXPLODE from the cup. ONTO ME. I actually let out something that sounded like "Oh my!", as I felt smoothie hit my face, hair, shirt, shorts, and flip flops. It was literally dripping from my eyes and nose. The mom was mortified but I couldn't help laughing. How can you seriously expect to get mad when there's smoothie in your HAIR? I tried to calm the mom and tell her that it really did seem quite funny, but by the time I came back with papertowels, she was nowhere in sight. At least one of us got a good laugh over it. That's not true, my boss and several co-workers also seemed to find it pretty funny.

The final straw in declaring the night a strange and wacky one was actually my own goof. At times, I can only describe myself as an idiot and this was one of those times. At our own booth, we had a kiddie pool filled with plastic balls. Underneath the balls were small prizes that the kids could take home. Cute idea, huh? You'd think so until you find yourself asking a little girl, "Do you want to hunt for a prize in my balls?". Hearing my co-workers snicker and watching them shake their heads in amazement definitely declared Safety Fair night as the most ridiculous night I've had in a long time.

2 comments:

Anonymous

HAAAHAAA!!! THAT IS HILARIOUS! A true Ashley moment!!! Love ya!
-Cari

Emily

I love it!! Only you, Ashley!

Also, I bet your innocent face in the toll road photo will convince them to not charge you. But just in case it doesn't, I'm sure the 2 free-pass-through policy they have will do it. ;)

Post a Comment