CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 1, 2010

An interactive blog...

I've decided I NEED HELP! I've come to seek the wise counsel of my friends and family for something extremely important. Ok, I'm being a bit dramatic. It's decorating advice. It's not exactly important but it'd help me out a whole heckofalot. And something tells me that a few of you out there will have some fun with this.

For the next week or so, I'm going to post pictures of different rooms in my house. You get to say what things we could do or get to spice them up. All I will say is that the theme of our house is "rustic". And I'll also say that I'm not too excited about the prospect of painting right now, but I might be willing to bend a bit in that department to add some life to our very white house. :)

Room #1-The Kitchen
Kind of boring backsplash, hence the Mexican plates above the cabinets for color.
Breakfast nook in the kitchen. My mom suggested swapping out the little lampshades. She also mentioned recovering the chairs.
Another view of the kitchen. The lab is NOT up for debate.

Room #2-The Living Room
So we've definitely added to this room recently. Besides the painting above the fireplace (Kirklands), we are trying to frame pictures of Austin and other rustic scenes that myself or Grant have actually taken. We'll add them to the right of the tv.

Grant has toyed with the idea of buying a cowhide for the floor. We saw a few different colors at a rustic furniture store down the road. Are we reaching a little too much with this? And yes, we have framed pictures of our dogs in the living room. Again, not up for debate and judge all you want. ;)
This is the view from our front entry-way. It looks slightly into the dining room and then on into the living room. Any thoughts on curtains or any type of drapery? (Is that a word?)

Ok, discuss! Next stop, the dining room and we'll take a trip to the downstairs bathroom...

6 comments:

cmf9ferrell

Your kitchen table and tile look very similar to mine! I think if you add curtains and rugs it will definatley add color to the rooms. I like your theme!! I don't judge about the dog pictures b/c we have them too :) I love this blog!! Can't wait to see what you do with each room. I am with you though...I HATE to paint!!

Emily

Just hire a painter. It's so much easier. haha I know I sound so lazy...but it's true. And then just do an accent wall so it doesn't cost as much.
I am a big fan of rugs under tables. That would add a lot of color to the kitchen, along with curtains. Fun colored lamp shades, too, and wrought iron details seem rustic, right? In my head they do, anyway.
I think another trip to a pottery painting place needs to happen... :)
Most of all - just go for it. Whatever you choose to do will be your choice and make it feel like your own space!

K Jolly

Check out Garden Ridge... they have those cowhide rugs for very reasonable! They also have all that iron stuff and other rugs!

Good luck!

Sarah

I like what everyone else said. Rugs, draperies, accessories in red would be really pretty. And I love the cowhide rug idea. We hate, hate, hate painting, but it makes the biggest difference. If I were you I'd do the entry/formal dining area a lighter shade of whatever color you do in the living room. That way when you walk in, it looks really pretty and dimensional to see the darker shade coming through the arches from the living room.

Emily

Just had an idea - if you want to add color to your living room but don't want the time it takes to paint the walls, what if you just painted the wood trim around the fireplace a nice bright color? Not sure if it would be even harder to do (I guess it depends on what type of primer you need). Home Depot - you can do it, they can help.

Emily

I've been searching images and found a couple things...
1. If you decide to add tile details, you could put some stars in there
2. There are iron fireplace covers with a Texas-y looking star on them.
www.oldtexas.com
www.truetexas.com

You could browse the websites for some ideas.

Post a Comment